Saturday, January 11, 2014

Kristiane Backer

Assalam! Hello!
I'm back, feeling more optimistic than ever! Alhamdulillah!

Anyway, 10 January 2014 was one of the best days of my life, probably the best of the best.
I went for a talk by Kristiane Backer on "From MTV to Mecca" and how Islam inspired her life.
I am glad I decided to go for the talk despite having work end in the evening.

Her speech was beyond inspirational until I made a promise to myself to work on my self; my soul and my character. There were so many key points addressed by her, so I couldn't really remember all of it already (boo, I wish I could. Such a pity that I couldn't remember most of them at all).

The first thing I can remember was how she emphasized the need to read The One and Only book, the Al Quran. What she meant was, to read It, understand it, and practice it. Only by reading and understanding it, can one then improve on themselves. Well, I don't have to explain further, do I? It's as simple as, get off your sofa/bed, take the Quran off your shelf, take wudhu' and read. Read the verses and its translations. And then go practice it!

The second thing I can remember was how she overcame the stress from the Islamophobia. As brief as 123, she said, "Just trust Allah." What I can say about her was that she really ignored everything that can shake her Imaan and simply just trust Allah on everything. She mentioned that she lost her job in MTV and her friends right after she became a Muslim. But, that didn't even stop her at all. (Strong woman, indeed!)

(There was a lot more to it, but, I'll just go straight into the most significant part. ^^)

The next thing was the Q&A part. This segment of her talk left a great impact on me.
A revert (or, convert as some of you may say) asked Kristiane how she dealt with her family, how she managed to convinced them.
So, the question is, how did it leave a great impact on me? Well, the girl who asked the above-mentioned question cried. That signaled to me that she was living a really tough life. Having parents who opposed to her religion, she must've felt lonely in a way. And that made me realized how blessed I was to be born a Muslim, to be born in a family that practices Islam. This made me realize how I should be a better Muslim. Some are even crying inside of them to be a Muslim, some even lost their loved ones by their side (not losing, like forever - I meant, losing their family's love) to be a Muslim. And why am I not practicing hard enough? All I thought was how I've been practicing it insufficiently. How I haven't been reading the Quran since ages, how I've committed a lot of sins (as much as the sand on the sea). And that I felt really remorseful as to how I have been living my life. It was such a great wake up call.

Anyway, I felt even more blessed because I managed to grab a copy of her book, and even got an autograph by her! Yes! I'm just really glad I decided to attend her talk!

Oh my! And yes, she kind of scribbled on it because she spelled my name with a 'K' instead of a 'Q'; so she overwrote it. Hehe.
Today, I woke up, promising myself to live like my last day on Earth, to never be who I was the day before.
And as my previous post was about Change, I shall preach what I said.

Till then!
Goodbye!
Keep it coming, guys!
xoxo